Deleting unused or dormant mail accounts.

Bron Gondwana brong at fastmail.fm
Mon Sep 12 17:14:04 EDT 2011

On Sun, Sep 11, 2011 at 11:57:00PM -0300, Andres Tarallo wrote:
> Hi !!!
>
> I'm administering a mail server with a few thousand mail accounts. Due
> to the way this organization works we have in this server some
> accounts that aren't checked.
>
> In order to get a list of mailboxes to be removed we're looking the
> date the file username.seen was last modified. Do we have a better
> strategy?

Just a warning, that definitely won't work reliably in 2.4.x, because
we don't use the .seen file anywhere near as much.

We update a "last logged in" timestamp in our database through a custom
saslauthd, but of course that may not work for you.  What would work
though, is just tailing your syslog file for IMAP or POP login events
and tracking every username that logs in for a few weeks, or whatever
period you want to track, and then start deleting accounts.  Assuming
you don't have to do it RIGHT NOW.

Bron.