expunge_days & cyr_expire best practice

Wolfgang Breyha wbreyha at gmx.net
Mon Sep 12 10:29:47 EDT 2011

Hi!

I'm currently preparing our "murder" migration from 2.3 to 2.4. Since we
already use delayed expunge and delete I try to fully understand the impact of
expunge_days: setting. Currently we use -X 2 with cyr_expire.

Since QRESYNC needs at least "expunge_days: 7" as stated in "man imapd.conf" I
tried to figure out how to set it up right.

If I read the source right only mailbox.c:mailbox_close() and cyr_expire do
cleanup jobs on cyrus cache and unlink files.

mailbox_close() waits until expunge_days+8 after the index record was expired.
What are these 8 days for? Is this the minimum needed for QRESYNC mentioned in
"man imapd.conf"?

cyr_expire doesn't care about expunge_days at all. So I guess -X should be at
least >= expunge_days, right?

Is
expunge_days: 7
and
cyr_expire -X 7
ok so far?

Greetings, Wolfgang
--
Wolfgang Breyha <wbreyha at gmx.net> | http://www.blafasel.at/
Vienna University Computer Center | Austria