Deliverdb in a memcached

Jeroen van Meeuwen (Kolab Systems) vanmeeuwen at kolabsys.com
Wed Sep 7 15:35:13 EDT 2011

Øyvind Kolbu wrote:
> On 2011-08-23 at 14:01, Ram wrote:
> > On a very busy Imap server , duplicate suppression sometimes becomes the
> > bottleneck
> > I have seen that If I disable duplicate suppression , my lmtp deliveries
> > are speeded up.
> >
> > Duplicate suppression is important , but the database need not persist
> > for very long.
> > I have seen in most of the cases if there is a duplicate mail ( due to
> > forwards , groups etc ), it arrives within 10 minutes of the first mail
> > ( Any exception to this is too minor and can be ignored )
> >

> > IMHO There should be a configuration that the deliverdb can be,
> > optionally,  stored in memcached or directly in memory.
> > Of course there are cons .. like loss of data on restart etc. But these
> > are OK.
>
> A number of cyrus' databases are volatile and can be placed on tmpfs.

I agree.

> memcached seems overkill, and as of cyrus version 2.4.8 there are options
> to specify the location of most databases,

In the future, however, with master-master replication, perhaps the duplicate
delivery database (as well as other databases such as tls_sessions????) may
need to be shared between backend servers for a fully transparent and
functional experience.

I'm interested in exploring memcached for this purpose - a technology I have
very positive experiences with in terms of reliability and performance FWIW.
That said, I'm not the guy that can come up with a patch... anyone?

Kind regards,

Jeroen van Meeuwen

--
Senior Engineer, Kolab Systems AG