Cyrus IMAP Packaging (was: Re: cpu and cyrus)

Jeroen van Meeuwen (Kolab Systems) vanmeeuwen at kolabsys.com
Tue Sep 6 10:03:02 EDT 2011

John Madden wrote:
> > Stating as if it were fact packagers are not able to keep up is somewhat
> > of a faux pas, and seriously frowned upon by yours sincerely.
>
> It's not that you can't keep up, it's that you don't keep up.  The
> reasons behind the lag are usually quite understandable, but regardless,
> those who need the most recent versions of these packages often have to
> look outside the distribution's packages.
>
> Faux pas or not, it's the truth. :)

I'm afraid you're confusing the package that is available in the 'stable'
repository or repositories for a 'stable' distribution version or release with
the latest version released upstream not being packaged.

Distributor's policies often do not permit the type of change(s) the latest
and greatest may bring along with it, to occur in their 'stable' releases.

Note that I'm using the term 'stable' very lightly here, because Fedora is my
turf.

This would be a distributor "problem" more so then a packager problem.

With Debian for example, in my experience, the "problem" has always been
(different people on this mailing list can correct me if I'm wrong here) that
packagers have wanted the update/upgrade/dist-upgrade database conversion and
deb-conf scripting to be what could be defined as providing a seemless upgrade
path. Meanwhile it seemed everyone was OK with the status quo, such resulting
in little contributions to develop/test solutions to said (perceived)
problems.

Overall, though, I think you'll find this particular area of packaging Cyrus
IMAP for OS distributions has vastly improved over the past year or so. To say
packagers can't I do consider a faux pas. To say packagers don't or won't may
perhaps give you reason to start doing what you need to get done in the
canonical location for such efforts, from where everybody else consumes the
fruits of your labour; upstream.

Kind regards,

Jeroen van Meeuwen

--