IMAP on NFS still unusable?

Gabriele Bulfon gbulfon at sonicle.com
Mon Oct 24 09:20:43 EDT 2011

Hi,
I have an openindiana based storage, holding native ZFS filesystems shared over NFS,
allowing me to benefit of ZFS snapshots even with systems that cannot ZFS (Linux in this case).
I read all around the web that is not safe to run Cyrus imap over NFS, but these posts are old,
so I was wandering if something changed with new releases of Cyrus and/or NFS.
Actually, I have a Solaris based Cyrus 2.3.16 that happily runs its spool over NFS, and it's even
quite fast.
Now, I'm trying with a Linux and Cyrus 2.4.12. Here it looks unstable, sometime fast, sometime like locked.
Any experience?
Gabriele.