Cyrus Postfix LMTP tuning

Andrew Morgan morgan at orst.edu
Thu Oct 13 11:37:06 EDT 2011

I'm looking for some advice on tuning Cyrus and Postfix to speed up LMTP
delivery.  We ran a test of our emergency alert system today, which
generated 20,000 separate emails for delivery.  From the message headers,
it appears that delivery of some messages took 30 minutes (the one sent to
my personal account was about 30 minutes).

We are running Cyrus Murder.  Each frontend (there are 3) has:

   lmtp  cmd="/usr/local/cyrus/bin/lmtpproxyd" listen="lmtp" prefork=0 maxchild=25

Each backend (there are 3) has:

   lmtp  cmd="/usr/local/cyrus/bin/lmtpd" listen="lmtp" prefork=1 maxchild=100

Our Postfix relays (there are 3) seem to make one lmtp connection per
message, rather than sending multiple messages down a single connection.

Do any Cyrus+Postfix users out there have tuning recommendations?  I see a
lot of postfix lmtp_* config options, but I know little about Postfix.

Thanks,
 	Andy