Cyrus imap server and filesystem type.

Eero Hänninen fax at nohik.ee
Tue Oct 4 03:56:25 EDT 2011

Hi..

> On 10/03/2011 12:58 PM, Josef Karliak wrote:
>>   Hi there,
>>   what filesystem type do you use for Cyrus imapd ? I use SLES11x64
>> (or opensuse 11.4).
>>   I use Reiserfs3.6, so far so good. But couldn't be better ? :)

I have time to time bad experiences with ReiserFS 3.6. Soon or latter
some data corruption happens, and if reiser becomes broken then its
broken after repair too. May be its kernel related or my personal
problem.
Currently our old mail infra is using xfs and ext4, and it seems work
fine with our load. XFS needs careful tuning before it gets perform like
on creation log size, block size etc, and on mounting increase logbufs
to 8 (default 1). And of course don't forget increase number of inodes.

Future plan is change hardware and mail system architecture, so we move
to ZFS (on FreeBSD) , as current stress tests shows good results on test
servers. But lets see how it will be work with about 1.2m users real
work load.

About Your thread, why you are asking, just for sure that you have made
good choice or you have some kind performance problems? :)

Best Regards,
Eero