Vacation Not Working...

Nathanael D. Noblet nathanael at gnat.ca
Tue May 10 11:10:04 EDT 2011

On 05/10/2011 07:24 AM, Michael Menge wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Quoting "Nathanael D. Noblet" <nathanael at gnat.ca>:
>

>> Hello,
>>
>> I have a mail server that we use cyrus-imap for. It works well
>> enough. Stock package for RHEL 5 (cyrus-imapd-2.3.7-7.el5_4.3). Likely
>> somewhat old. In anycase we've used sieve for server side filtering and
>> it has worked well for years. We have a couple users however that would
>> like to use the 'Vacation'/'Auto responding' features. The add the rule,
>> however no auto response is ever attempted. There are no errors in the
>> log, nada.
>>
>> I spent a few hours trying to get something but never did. Can anyone
>> suggest what I should be doing to see why it isn't working? Any gotcha's
>> or other pointers? Google has turned up many people with similar
>> problems, but no answers. I could really use a hand with how to
>> debug/track this down.
>>

> Configuring and debuging Vacation is a bit tricky.
>
> First you need to make sure cyrus is able to send emails.
> Do forwarding rules work for you?

They do yes.

> Second you need to add vacation to sieve_extensions in imapd.conf.
> and the script must contain a "require vacation" line at the beginning.

Hmm that's new. I had seen things about require vacation in the sieve
script (which is present). However looking at a list of files installed
as part of the cyrus-imapd package I see nothing about vacation. Looking
at the man page I see that that is necessary now.

> Third, there are some measures to prevent mailloops and other not
> intended vacationmails. So to test you have to use different
> senderaddresses or delete the delivery DB for each try, and
> you have to configure the addresses of the recipient in the vacation
> rule.

I've added it restarted cyrus and sent mail from a different account
than my previous test.

> Hope that helps to debug the problem.

It has definitely given me some more info to look at I was previously
unaware of. Thanks!

--
Nathanael d. Noblet
t 403.875.4613