Vacation Not Working...

Michael Menge michael.menge at zdv.uni-tuebingen.de
Tue May 10 09:24:37 EDT 2011

Hi,

Quoting "Nathanael D. Noblet" <nathanael at gnat.ca>:

> Hello,
>
>    I have a mail server that we use cyrus-imap for. It works well
> enough. Stock package for RHEL 5 (cyrus-imapd-2.3.7-7.el5_4.3). Likely
> somewhat old. In anycase we've used sieve for server side filtering and
> it has worked well for years. We have a couple users however that would
> like to use the 'Vacation'/'Auto responding' features. The add the rule,
> however no auto response is ever attempted. There are no errors in the
> log, nada.
>
>    I spent a few hours trying to get something but never did. Can anyone
> suggest what I should be doing to see why it isn't working? Any gotcha's
> or other pointers? Google has turned up many people with similar
> problems, but no answers. I could really use a hand with how to
> debug/track this down.

Configuring and debuging Vacation is a bit tricky.

First you need to make sure cyrus is able to send emails.
Do forwarding rules work for you?

Second you need to add vacation to sieve_extensions in imapd.conf.
and the script must contain a "require vacation" line at the beginning.

Third, there are some measures to prevent mailloops and other not
intended vacationmails. So to test you have to use different
senderaddresses or delete the delivery DB for each try, and
you have to configure the addresses of the recipient in the vacation
rule.

Hope that helps to debug the problem.

Regards

    Michael