Tuning defaults for 2.5

Dan White dwhite at olp.net
Fri Mar 4 09:42:57 EST 2011

On 04/03/11 13:36 +0000, Jeroen van Meeuwen (Kolab Systems) wrote:
>Simon Matter wrote:
>> I've checked the options you suggest and here is where I don't agree:
>
>Thanks Simon for your feedback!
>
>> - altnamespace to 1
>> I don't remember any problems with altnamespace = 0 so why change it? I
>> prefer to have the "nontranslated" namespace everywhere by default, which
>> is the one also seen with the admin tools.
>>

>Please note that it is merely a change of the default value, and not an
>elimination of the option; one can still change this option to match the
>desired behaviour. We are certainly not seeking the one solution that fits
>all.
>
>- An altnamespace: 0 environment would nest all folders inside the INBOX. It's

>Now, presumably, each and every one of us has already picked his/her favorite
>and would probably like the default changed or unchanged to reflect that.

I think the desire to change the default should be weighted against the
danger of an administrator upgrading an installation without noticing the
change (and who had not previously specified a config value).

If the altnamespace default were changed (or the unixhierarchysep option),
client filters may reference a specific mailbox as, say, 'INBOX.Important'.
If that were changed to 'Important' all of a sudden, then in the best case
it might just work, but in the worst case it might lead to loss of email. I
worry about a thunderbird or outlook filter that does:

c uid copy <uid> INBOX.Important
c uid store <uid> +FLAGS (\Deleted)

but doesn't do the right thing if the first command fails.

--
Dan White