Problems with NNTP access

Lars Kellogg-Stedman lars at oddbit.com
Tue Mar 1 23:47:20 EST 2011

Hello all,

I'm getting some odd errors from Cyrus trying to access mailboxes via
NNTP, and I'm hoping you can help out.  The basic symptoms are that
the mailboxes should up in an NNTP LIST command, but trying to select
the via GROUP results in an a "unknown error":

 LIST
 215 List of newsgroups follows:
 sample 0 1 y
 .
 GROUP sample
 411 No such newsgroup (Unknown error: 0)

Cyrus doesn't appear to log anything regarding this failure.  In my
imap.conf, I have:

partition-news: /var/spool/news
newsspool: /var/spool/news
newsprefix: news

And I created the mailbox like this:

cm news.sample
sam news.sample anyone post

And in /var/spool/imap/news I see:

 drwx------  2 cyrus  cyrus  5 Mar  1 23:36 /var/spool/imap/news/sample/

Access to this mailbox works just fine via IMAP:

a SELECT news.sample
* 0 EXISTS
* 0 RECENT
* FLAGS (\Answered \Flagged \Draft \Deleted \Seen)
* OK [PERMANENTFLAGS (\Seen)] Ok
* OK [UIDVALIDITY 1299040605] Ok
* OK [UIDNEXT 1] Ok
* OK [HIGHESTMODSEQ 2] Ok
* OK [URLMECH INTERNAL] Ok
a OK [READ-WRITE] Completed

In both cases, I'm authenticating with the same username and password.

I'm running Cyrus 2.4.6 under FreeBSD 8.1.

Thanks for your help,

-- Lars