Cyrus 2.4.9 doesn't run on none standard ports

Bron Gondwana brong at fastmail.fm
Thu Jun 23 16:55:00 EDT 2011

On Thu, 23 Jun 2011 22:12:07 +0200 (CEST)
Klemens Puritscher <cyrus at puri.jet2web.at> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm using cyrus-imapd(currently 2.3.16) for many years and I'm quiet happy with it.
> Now I'm testing the new 2.4.9 version - SRPMS from Simon Matter.
>
> Based on historical reasons the lmtpd should run on port 26.
> ...but the lmtpd didn't start.
> Only when I use the standard port 24 it will work.
>
> My "/etc/cyrus.conf":
>
> That works: (lmtpd processes starts an listen on port 24)
>   lmtp          cmd="lmtpd -a" listen=24 prefork=5 maxchild=200
>
> that not: (no lmtpd starts...)
>   lmtp          cmd="lmtpd -a" listen=26 prefork=5 maxchild=200
>
> The same with pop3d (for testing...):
> That works:
>   pop3          cmd="pop3d" listen=110 prefork=3
>
> That works not: (no pop3d starts...)
>   pop3          cmd="pop3d" listen=110 prefork=3
>

> Any ideas?

All that stuff Dan White said - great ideas.  I can tell you for sure that it
runs quite happily on non-standard ports, because not only do we do it in our
production (which isn't 2.4.9 precisely) but I use non-standard ports in all
my testbed stuff, which 2.4.9 definitely got a workout through before it was
released.

I do wonder if listen=":26" might make you happier.  I'm pretty sure I always
have explicit hostnames in all my examples.

No, scratch that.  I just tried an example listening with listen=6000, and it
started up fine and I could telnet to lmtpd on port 6000 on localhost.  That's
with a fresh built of the 'cyrus-imapd-2.4' branch, which is 2.4.9 plus a
couple of minor bugfixes that I've backported since.

So I suspect you have another instance still running on those same ports.  Try
the netstat command (I personally use "netstat -n -a -p") to grep for things.

Bron.