cyradm login loops

Dan White dwhite at olp.net
Fri Jul 1 09:49:14 EDT 2011

On 01/07/11 09:10 -0400, Robert Spellman wrote:
>We have recently upgraded to cyrus 2.4.6.  Our environment includes a
>server running as a murder server, four back end mailstores, and two
>front end servers.  If we mistakenly create a user mailbox on one of
>the front end servers using cyradm, and then try to manage it (dm,
>sam, info, lm), cpu load on the front end server increases until the
>box is unusable.  Syslogs show the user cyrus (our admin user)
>logging in over and over, each time creating a new proxyd process,
>which explains the high cpu load.
>
>Managing mailboxes on the back end servers from the front end servers
>works fine.
>
>Here's my imapd.conf for one of my front end servers:
>
>>configdirectory: /var/lib/imap
>>partition-default: /home/imap
>>defaultpartition: default
>>sievedir: /var/lib/imap/sieve
>>admins: cyrus backend
>>sasl_pwcheck_method: saslauthd
>>sasl_mech_list: PLAIN GSSAPI
>>
>>altnamespace: true
>>hashimapspool: true
>>allowallsubscribe: true
>>allowusermoves: true
>>autocreateinboxfolders: Trash|Sent|Junk
>>autosubscribeinboxfolders: Trash|Sent|Junk
>>autosubscribesharedfolders: shared.announce
>>lmtp_downcase_rcpt: true
>>
>>tls_cert_file: /etc/pki/tls/certs/mail.bates.edu-cert.pem
>>tls_key_file: /etc/pki/tls/certs/mail.bates.edu-key.pem
>>tls_ca_file: /etc/pki/tls/certs/bates.edu-cert.pem
>>
>>proxy_authname: backend
>>proxyservers: backend
>>
>>mupdate_server: murder.bates.edu
>>mupdate_username: backend

Could it be due to a referral loop, where the frontend believes the mailbox
exists on the backend, but the backend doesn't know about it?

What does the mailbox look like in the output of cyr_dbtool on the frontend
and the backend?, and does it 'fix' the problem if you delete it manually
on the frontend with cyr_dbtool?

Here's a usage example:

cyrus at mail:/var/spool/imap$ file /var/lib/imap/mailboxes.db
/var/lib/imap/mailboxes.db: Cyrus skiplist DB

cyrus at mail:/var/spool/imap$ cyr_dbtool /var/lib/imap/mailboxes.db skiplist show user.test1234
user.test1234   (uniqueid 6ebe0fe04dad935f) 0 default test1234 lrswipkxtecda
user.test1234.trash     (uniqueid 638c3a464dad9368) 0 default test1234 lrswipkxtecda

cyrus at mail:/var/spool/imap$ cyr_dbtool /var/lib/imap/mailboxes.db skiplist get 'user.test1234.trash'
(uniqueid 638c3a464dad9368) 0 default test1234  lrswipkxtecda
cyrus at mail:/var/spool/imap$ cyr_dbtool /var/lib/imap/mailboxes.db skiplist delete 'user.test1234.trash'
cyrus at mail:/var/spool/imap$ cyr_dbtool /var/lib/imap/mailboxes.db skiplist get 'user.test1234.trash'

--
Dan White