sql authentication

Gabriele Bulfon gbulfon at sonicle.com
Wed Jan 26 02:28:31 EST 2011

Hi,
I've been using cyrus imapd for years using saslauthd against unix passwd/shadow.
This way it's easy to understand the relation between a user and its mailbox.
Now I want to integrate authentication with a sql backend, forgetting about unix users.
I have a postgres db containing users and passwords.
These are actually a complete email and a password.
I would like imapd to authenticate using my db, where login is an email.
I've seen many ways to accomplish sql authentication, so I don't know which is the right one.
At last, how do I map the complete email to a cyrus mailbox?
For example, if a user succesfully authenticate as name.lastname at domain.com, how does
cyrus translate it into a user.mailbox?
Thanks for any help,
Gabriele.