Adding a 2.3.x replica [Documentation Bug]

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Tue Feb 15 09:41:26 EST 2011

On Tue, 2011-02-15 at 13:28 +0100, Michael Menge wrote:
> Quoting Adam Tauno Williams <awilliam at whitemice.org>:
> > On Mon, 2011-02-14 at 16:37 -0500, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
> >> Looking at
> >> <http://www.cyrusimap.org/docs/cyrus-imapd/2.3.16/install-replication.php>
> > Documentation Bug:
> > "Add a line similar to the following in the STARTUP section of
> > cyrus.conf"
> > There is no "STARTUP" section, it is the "START" section.
> > START {
> >   # do not delete this entry!
> >   recover       cmd="ctl_cyrusdb -r"
> >   # this is only necessary if using idled for IMAP IDLE
> >   idled         cmd="idled"
> >   # Start the replication client (this is the master)
> >   syncclient       cmd="sync_client -r"
> If this method is used the master will wait till the syncclient can
> reach the replica. This can cause unnessesary delays it the replica
> is not running or can't be reached.

Won't this also mean that the sync will stop, and not resume, if
sync_client abends/stops/aborts?

> >> Reading the quote -
> >> "Rolling" replication means that the "master" server continuously
> >> synchonizes itself with the replica.
> >> - I take this to mean that the master continuously *pushes* changes to
> >> the replica [secondary]?
> > Yep.
> >> Is there a recommended/suggested value for sync_repeat_interval other
> >> than the default of "1"?
> > ?
> >> Is there a recommended Method for bringing up a new replica for an
> >> active master (with 1.4 million messages in its mailstore)
> If the replica is running, you have to run the following command
> to initialise the replica:
> sync_client -u -f userlist.txt
> userlist.txt is a file containing all users.
> This can be done while the master and rolling replication
> is running.

I assume the same can be applied for "-m" mode.

1.) Dump a mailbox list using:
  /usr/lib/cyrus-imapd/ctl_mboxlist -d | cut -f1 > /tmp/mailbox_list.txt
2.) Run the sync for that mailbox list
  /usr/lib/cyrus-imapd/sync_client  -m -v -l -f /tmp/mailbox_list.txt

This seems to just-die; but is working if I break-up the mailbox list
into units-of-work [rather than all at once].