Adding a 2.3.x replica [Documentation Bug]

Michael Menge michael.menge at zdv.uni-tuebingen.de
Tue Feb 15 07:28:54 EST 2011

Quoting Adam Tauno Williams <awilliam at whitemice.org>:

> On Mon, 2011-02-14 at 16:37 -0500, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
>> Looking at
>> <http://www.cyrusimap.org/docs/cyrus-imapd/2.3.16/install-replication.php>
>
> Documentation Bug:
>
> "Add a line similar to the following in the STARTUP section of
> cyrus.conf"
>
> There is no "STARTUP" section, it is the "START" section.
>
> START {
>   # do not delete this entry!
>   recover       cmd="ctl_cyrusdb -r"
>   # this is only necessary if using idled for IMAP IDLE
>   idled         cmd="idled"
>   # Start the replication client (this is the master)
>   syncclient       cmd="sync_client -r"
> }

If this method is used the master will wait till the syncclient can
reach the replica. This can cause unnessesary delays it the replica
is not running or can't be reached.

>> Reading the quote -
>> "Rolling" replication means that the "master" server continuously
>> synchonizes itself with the replica.
>> - I take this to mean that the master continuously *pushes* changes to
>> the replica [secondary]?
>
> Yep.
>
>> Is there a recommended/suggested value for sync_repeat_interval other
>> than the default of "1"?
>
> ?

>> Is there a recommended Method for bringing up a new replica for an
>> active master (with 1.4 million messages in its mailstore)

If the replica is running, you have to run the following command
to initialise the replica:

sync_client -u -f userlist.txt

userlist.txt is a file containing all users.
This can be done while the master and rolling replication
is running.

M.Menge                                Tel.: (49) 7071/29-70316
Universität Tübingen                   Fax.: (49) 7071/29-5912
Zentrum für Datenverarbeitung          mail:
michael.menge at zdv.uni-tuebingen.de
Wächterstraße 76
72074 Tübingen