LMTP bounces with invalid chars in MAIL FROM adress

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh hmh at debian.org
Mon Feb 14 11:54:00 EST 2011

On Mon, 14 Feb 2011, Simon Matter wrote:
> The problem is that those messages really have invalid from adresses, like
> "RosaSánchez at something.com", but Postfix still accepts them. Later, Cyrus
> runs parseaddr() on it ans correctly refuses to accept the mail.

Yeah, postfix really should reject that crap.  Do you know which MUA is
producing this braindamage?

> Now, I'm interested to hear how others handle this case, if possible how
> they handle it with postfix. I know that enabling strict_rfc821_envelopes
> would possibly help but that seem to be a bad idea.

The problem with strict_rfc821_envelopes is that it also requires one to
actually speak rfc2821, so "MAIL FROM: whomever at example.com" would cause a
rejection.

There is the heavy-handed "smtpd_command_filter", though. It is certainly
capable of doing what you need.

  Henrique Holschuh