mailbox referrals in 2.4.12

Bron Gondwana brong at fastmail.fm
Thu Dec 15 14:12:34 EST 2011

On Thu, Dec 15, 2011 at 10:22:32AM -0800, Andrew Morgan wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Dec 2011, Wolfgang Breyha wrote:
>
> > Andrew Morgan wrote, on 14.12.2011 19:38:
> >> In that case, I should keep the original behavior in cmd_list.  Here is an
> >> updated patch that still honors disable_referrals when setting
> >> supports_referrals.
> >
> > Your patch still removes the disable_referrals from section 2819ff.
> >
> > And I still suggest using suppress_capabilites instead of waking the zombi...
> > patch attached.
>
> I prefer to keep the original imapd.conf option for disabling mailbox
> referrals.  I think suppress_capabilities was intended to hide
> capabilities, not alter Cyrus' behavior in this way.

Agree - I don't want to add any special behaviour to suppres_.

> Also, removing the original config option will break installations that
> are upgrading.  I know that is kinda awkward here anyways because this
> config option hasn't worked right in Cyrus 2.4 from the beginning though.

Well, yeah.  That would be my fault - let's fix it up to be backwards
compatible again though.  Please, please - when you do tests, look at
Cassandane and see if you can get a test in there.  Talk to Greg (gnb,
CC'd) about it as all...

A lot of stuff that was broken in 2.4 was broken because I didn't use
it, and didn't know it well enough to be sure what I was breaking in
the process.  We're going to be a bit more careful with 2.5.  With 2.4
it was "we haven't had a release in over a year, and if we don't get
this stuff out the project is just going to slowly rot".

We can afford to be a bit more careful this time around.

Bron.