IOERROR: zero index/expunge record

Bron Gondwana brong at fastmail.fm
Thu Aug 4 04:06:42 EDT 2011

On Thu, 04 Aug 2011 09:51:07 +0200, Marc Muehlfeld
<Marc.Muehlfeld at medizinische-genetik.de> wrote:

> Hi Bron,
>
> thanks for the long explanation, even if I don't understand everything.
> :-)
>
> It sounds like there is no way to fix this by a configuration parameter
> or migrating a database or so. And if the only way is to patch the
> current version or compile a new one, then I think the new one is the
> better idea.

Pretty much - and the "patch" would be super-invasive even if someone
did write it.

> Can I keep the cyrus-sasl packages from my distribution and just replace
> the imapd with the latest version?

Yes - we use cyrus-sasl as shipped by our vendor (Debian in our case).
You will need the cyrus-sasl-devel package (or whatever it's called).
Or talk to Jeroen about pre-compiled Cyrus RPMs.  He probably has some.

> This are the cyrus packages I currently have installed
> cyrus-imapd-2.3.16-6.el6_1.2.x86_64
> cyrus-imapd-utils-2.3.16-6.el6_1.2.x86_64
> cyrus-sasl-2.1.23-8.el6.x86_64
> cyrus-sasl-lib-2.1.23-8.el6.x86_64
> cyrus-sasl-plain-2.1.23-8.el6.x86_64
>
> When I upgrade to 2.4.10, are there any migrations I have to do (like
> databases)? Or can I just compile and update the daemon and utils and
> start cyrus again?

Everything should migrate itself automatically.  It will be VERY slow for
a while while it basically does a reconstruct of each mailbox first time
you open it to upgrade some of the datastructures.

Bron.