competition

Jeff Eaton jeaton at cmu.edu
Mon Sep 27 09:38:08 EDT 2010

> Better to just use an internal DB codebase (like skiplists) that has
> nothing to do with Sleepycat.  But then someone has to write and maintain
> this code.
>
> I think the best compromise I've heard yet is to use something like
> skiplists by default and make the use of libdb an optional feature like the
> use of mysql.

I'd be in favor of "deprecating" the use of BerkeleyDB in Cyrus.  Making
at least the default for new installations to be all-skiplist would be a
good step in that direction, as well as encouraging people to move away
from BDB where possible.

Ideally, I'd suggest making the default behavior of "./configure; make;
make install" to _not_ link in BDB at all unless --with-bdb is explicitly
given.  As I recall, you have to jump through a few hoops to get a build
of Cyrus to not link in the BDB libraries, even if you're not using them.

All of that said, it's probably worth directing future Cyrus DB backend
work away from BDB and more to improving SQLite or other integration.

-jeaton