Replication sync-server and Delayed Delete

gavin.gray at ed.ac.uk gavin.gray at ed.ac.uk
Fri Sep 17 07:21:51 EDT 2010

Actually, I was talking rubbish cyr_expire does find the deleted folders
older than x days, I just got my dates wrong when looking into it.

apologies,

Gavin.

On Thu, 16 Sep 2010, gavin.gray at ed.ac.uk wrote:

> Hi there,
>       So is the side effect of deleted folders ending up on the default
> partition when delayed delete is switched on on a replicant machine a known
> issue for sync_server? A knock on effect of this seems to be that cyr_expire
> on the replicant doesn't find these DELETED folders when it runs to do a
> purge.
>
> Could you suggest a safe alternative to cyr_expire in order to purge these
> misplace deleted folders?
>
> regards,
>
> Gavin Gray
>

> On Wed, 15 Sep 2010, Bron Gondwana wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 12:29:18PM +0100, Gavin Gray wrote:
>>> Hi there,
>>>
>>> We have a cyrus murder using replication and we have a few questions
>>> about the behaviour we are seeing on our system.
>>>
>>> 1. cyr_expire on the master doesn't cause any replication to happen.
>>> Is that 'correct'? In other words if we want to delete folders from
>>> the DELETED heirarchy on the replicant then we need to also run
>>> cyr_expire on the replicant?
>>
>> Yeah, pretty much.
>>
>>> 2. We're also a little unclear about replication vis a vis the
>>> delayed expunge and the unexpunge facility. Could you explain what
>>> ought to happen in terms of replication when email is expunged and
>>> then possibly unexpunged if anything?
>>
>> It's a bit messy.  Unexpunge is a sin against IMAP by the way, and
>> has been replaced with "generate new UID and promote" in 2.4.  In
>> which case it's just like a new append wit the same flags, and
>> replicates like an append :)
>>
>> 2.3 replication ignores expunges - it's as if they don't exist!  When
>> the mailbox syncs, it nukes the records that aren't "alive" on the
>> master from the replica.  If you re-inject them with unexpunge, it
>> should find them and sync_combine_commit() the result.  I don't know
>> if unexpunge inserts replication events though - somewhat doubt it.
>>
>>> 3. We are seeing a strange anomaly on the replication of deleting a
>>> folder.
>>>    e.g a user deletes a folder
>>>        the folder goes into the DELETED heirarchy of the partition
>>> the user's mailbox is on
>>>        the folder is also deleted from the replicant as we would expect
>>>        however the folder on the replicant goes into the DELETED
>>> heirarchy on a different partition(the default     partition as
>>> specified in cyrus.conf). Is this normal?
>>
>> Replication and partitions is broken in some ways in 2.3.  It should
>> be better in 2.4 I believe, though I haven't tested it.  I'm going to
>> be releasing an alpha super-soon (it's been pushed to git.cyrusimap.org
>> now!)
>>
>> Bron.
>>

> --

Gavin Gray
Edinburgh University Information Services
Rm 2013 JCMB
Kings Buildings
Edinburgh
EH9 3JZ
UK
tel +44 (0)131 650 5987
email gavin.gray at ed.ac.uk

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.