Mailbox directory structure

Artur Kaminski my.home.my.castle at gmail.com
Wed Sep 15 08:30:41 EDT 2010

Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2010 14:02:38 +0200

> From: Michael Menge <michael.menge at zdv.uni-tuebingen.de>
> Subject: Re: Mailbox directory structure
> To: info-cyrus at lists.andrew.cmu.edu
>
> Quoting Artur Kaminski <my.home.my.castle at gmail.com>:
>
> > Hey all,
> >
> > I installed imapd server successfully, and moved configuration from old
> one,
> > but then accidentally loaded another server's configuration from puppet.
> Now
> > Cyrus looks for user mailboxes in
> >
> > User       Mailbox
> > aaaa       /var/spool/imap/a/aaaa
> > user.aaaa  /var/spool/imap/u/user^aaaa
> >
> > (checked using cyradmin, with creating the mailboxes above)
> >

> > Actual mailbox for hypothetical user is in /var/spool/imap/a/users/aaaa
> > (moved from old server).
> >
> > In effect Postfix gets response "5.1.1 Mailbox not found" to all
> requests,
> > including root.
> >
> The option unixhierarchysep changes the hierarchy seperatror from . to /
> The . is representet as ^ in filesystem.
>

> > I can log in using IMAP.
> > I can't increase Cyrus logging.
>
> Cyrus logs everything to Syslog, you have to change your syslog config
> to change the loglevel.

Thank you Michael for quick reply.

So "unixhierarchysep = yes" in my imapd.conf should change the dot vel caret
to slash?

Unfortunately it doesn't, but indeed it would solve my problem. Can it be
covered by the same variable set to "no" in another file?

I receive a lot of logs from all Cyrus daemons, but I actually wanted to
turn on some kind of debugging (to find why it doesn't search in user
subdirectory). Dr Google told me about CYRUS_VERBOSE=1, but placed in
/etc/init.d/cyrus-master changed nothing.

Your advise about unixhierarchysep probably makes me happy with the current
level of logging.

Thank you
Artur