sync-server without deletes?

Bron Gondwana brong at fastmail.fm
Tue Sep 14 09:53:03 EDT 2010

On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 08:03:47AM -0500, Derek Chen-Becker wrote:
> We've been running sync replication between two servers for a few months
> now and everything has been working well. Recently, management has come
> down and asked if it's possible to have the sync only perform additions
> and to ignore deletions. The idea is that they would like our backup
> server (or possibly a third box) contain an archive of all mail ever
> delivered to our users (we would manage expiration manually). From what
> I can tell, this most likely isn't possible with the current
> sync-server, so I wanted to confirm that hunch and if I'm correct, see
> what other people are doing for this kind of thing.

Yeah, not really I'm afraid.  Not only doesn't it work like that, but
you can't even guarantee that the deleted email gets replicated at all!
If it gets expunged in a replication window, it will never get copied.

With the new replication engine in 2.4, it will be possible - deleted
messages still get replicated for a week - and if you set an explicit
long expiry time on the replica (say, years!) then it wouldn't get
cleaned up any earlier.

A common pattern is just to duplicate all email to a different folder
(during LMTP delivery or via sieve rules).  Of course, that doesn't
catch stuff that's uploaded via IMAP though.

Bron.