TLS failed, service in BUSY state, terminated abnormally

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh hmh at debian.org
Mon Sep 6 22:13:36 EDT 2010

On Tue, 07 Sep 2010, Clement Hermann (nodens) wrote:
> I always use /dev/urandom if I don't have hardware RNG on a busy server,
> because availability is more important than protection against a very
> unlikely threat, and I did have some problem under heavy load.

If you have a HRNG properly feeding the Linux kernel with entropy,
/dev/urandom will operate in the exactly same way as /dev/random anyway.

Really, /dev/random is to be used ONLY when generating long-lived very
important data, such as long-lived keys.

> However, if I can, I prefer to use a hardware RNG, as it is really a
> breeze to use with rng-tools. It used to be available on any server x86
> motherboard, unfortunately it tends to be less frequent onboard
> nowadays... Actually, if you don't want to recompile cyrus but need to
> use /dev/urandom, you can use /dev/random with rng-tools using
> /dev/urandom as a random source instead of the RNG device.

Well, I can recommend this: http://www.entropykey.co.uk

  Henrique Holschuh