Cyrus Add-ons

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh hmh at debian.org
Sat Oct 16 15:49:07 EDT 2010

On Sat, 16 Oct 2010, Reinaldo de Carvalho wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 16, 2010 at 2:11 PM, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh
> <hmh at debian.org> wrote:
> > On Sat, 16 Oct 2010, Reinaldo de Carvalho wrote:
> >>
> >> RCS is local version control, isn't a network service.
> >
> > It is also per-file.  Think CVS with even less features.  I also have
> > some stuff in RCS, mostly LyX documents without any external material.
> >
> > Reinaldo, any reason why you don't use git or mercurial?  That would
> > make it much easier for cooperative work.  sf.net supports git, and it
> > will NOT increase your dependency on the network even a bit, as it is
> > fully distributed.
>
> No reason. Can you point me a git howto?

I think you will like it.  The only non-obvious concept git uses is the
"stage", and you get used to it quite quickly.

Google finds a lot of tutorials, here are some:
http://www.vogella.de/articles/Git/article.html
http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/gittutorial.html
http://www.eecs.harvard.edu/~cduan/technical/git/

Youtube shows a lot of video tutorials as well (search for "git
tutorial").

If you do a lot of work on MS Windows, mercurial is likely to be easier
to handle.  I can't help you with mercurial, but google should find good
tutorials as well.  Mercurial is almost as nice as git, only a bit
slower but with better MS Windows support.

  Henrique Holschuh