Begin using a metapartition on existing system?

Scott Lambert lambert at lambertfam.org
Fri Oct 15 18:02:36 EDT 2010

I'm not doing well with my Google-foo.

I initially setup our first Cyrus-IMAPd system recently.  I had a
conceptual misunderstanding and thought that the config directory
could be configured to hold the metadata.  Actually, I thought it
would happen by default.  I don't know what I was thinking.

Now that I have that sorted out in my head, and we are out of I/O
bandwidth, I want to configure a metapartition-default on a new
RAID1 and move the metadata to it.  I haven't been able to find
documentation that says if it is safe to add the metapartition
directives to the config for an existing partition on a running
system.

What would be the proceedure for this?  Something like?:

  * rsync the metapartition_files to the new metapartition-default
  * shut down cyrus-imapd
  * rsync the metapartition_files to the new metapartition-default
  * change the imapd.conf
  * remove the metapartition_files from partition-default
  * start cyrus-imapd

I would like to do it without stopping cyrus-imapd, but I suspect
that changing it on a running system was not planned for in the
feature.  I would be most happy to be wrong.

Thanks!

lambert at lambertfam.org