two imapd istances with different "altnamespace"

Giuseppe Ravasio giuseppe_ravasio at modiano.com
Fri Oct 15 04:01:01 EDT 2010

Hi,
my mail server runs cyrus 2.3 with "altnamespace: no" parameter.
We make extensive use of shared folders and we are happy with this
setting and with personal folders unser INBOX.

But now need to use a software that only understands alternative
namespace and i was thinking about using two different imapd.conf files
that differ only in the line:

 > altnamespace:	no
< altnamespace: yes

in cyrus.conf i will put:

imap          cmd="imapd" listen="imap" prefork=0
imap2	      cmd="imapd -C /etc/imapd2.conf" listen="10143" prefork=0

It's possible to do this  setting?
And it's safe using different namespaces on the same mailstore?

Thanks
Giuseppe