Problem with Cyrus 2.4.0 when subscribe to folders in other backends

Sebastian Hagedorn Hagedorn at uni-koeln.de
Thu Oct 14 06:43:39 EDT 2010

--On 13. Oktober 2010 17:50:55 -0400 Bron Gondwana <brong at fastmail.fm>
wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 05:27:32PM -0300, Lucas Zinato Carraro wrote:
>> With Thunderbird 3.1.3  i can  subscribe only in folders located in
>> Backend1
>>
>> where  my account "lucas.carraro" exist.
>> The other folder in backend2 are not avaiable for me:
>
> Actually, you're subscribing fine - we're just not showing them.  Oops.
>
> I know exactly which change fixed this - it's an obviously over-eager
> patch that I applied for FastMail because users were complaining about
> non-existant mailboxes appearing in their list view - things that were
> subscribed ages ago, and appearing despite not being real.

just so I get that straight: does that affect all instances of
subscriptions to non-existent mailboxes? If so that should definitely be
made an option only. I agree that we have more users complain about deleted
folders still showing up in the GUI of their client than there are people
who actually use that as a feature, but as long as section 6.3.6 of RFC
3501 reads like the following, we just have to live with that:

      A server MAY validate the mailbox argument to SUBSCRIBE to verify
      that it exists.  However, it MUST NOT unilaterally remove an
      existing mailbox name from the subscription list even if a mailbox
      by that name no longer exists.

           Note: This requirement is because a server site can
           choose to routinely remove a mailbox with a well-known
           name (e.g., "system-alerts") after its contents expire,
           with the intention of recreating it when new contents
           are appropriate.
--
     .:.Sebastian Hagedorn - RZKR-R1 (Gebäude 52), Zimmer 18.:.
                 .:.Regionales Rechenzentrum (RRZK).:.