service imap pid nnn in BUSY state: terminated abnormally

Bron Gondwana brong at fastmail.fm
Sat Oct 9 20:17:30 EDT 2010

On Sat, Oct 09, 2010 at 08:23:15AM -0400, Michael D. Sofka wrote:
> Great.  One final question on this topic.
>
> I currently have a warm-backup server (2.2.12) that I rsync to each night. As mailboxes are moved to the new 2.3.16 server the rsynced index files would be the wrong version.
>
> I can either rsync just the mail messages to the warm backup, and then reconstruct the index files. Or, I can take a slight detour, and upgrade the warm backup server to 2.3.16.
>
> From what you say, I should be able to continue to rsync from the current 2.2.12 server to an upgraded backup server.  If the backup should be needed, Cyrus will upgrade the index files.  Is that right?

Yes - I would recommend upgrading the backup servers to 2.3.16, since then
you will be able to use the index files without a reconstruct.  The files
from the 2.2.12 server will be upgraded on first use.  Of course, then you
can't copy them BACK to the original server again.  Any reason why you
don't just upgrade them all to 2.3.16?

Interestingly, the index files are still valuable even if you stay with
2.2.12, because reconstruct will be able to preserve the flag information
even from a newer version (within reason - I'm not sure how far back you
can go before incompatible changes cause weirdness - but the past few
releases should be OK).  If you're going to reconstruct anyway, you may
as well keep the index files around.

> I'm not sure which approach I'll take. The goal is to eventually have a replication server. But that can't be the current backup server since it has insufficient disk space going forward.

If it has space for backups, it has space for replication (assuming you're
using the replication as the backup) - replication is pretty much a smart
rsync with automated triggering based on changes.

Bron.