service imap pid nnn in BUSY state: terminated abnormally

Patrick Goetz pgoetz at mail.utexas.edu
Sat Oct 9 10:59:44 EDT 2010

On 10/9/2010 7:23 AM, Michael D. Sofka wrote:

> I can either rsync just the mail messages to the warm backup, and then reconstruct the index files. Or, I can take a slight detour, and upgrade the warm backup server to 2.3.16.

This is something I've been wondering, too.  The problem with not
copying the indexes is that presumably you lose all the metadata.  And
if you rsync /var/spool/cyrus/mail it would seem to me that you run the
risk of the index being out of sync with the mail spool; i.e. the only
way to safely use rsync is

    stop cyrus
    rsync
    restart cyrus

Which isn't practical for some environments.

imapsync seems to work fairly well and doesn't suffer from any race
conditions like this, however requires that you have each user's imap
password.  The solution that I'm considering is creating a dummy user
called "mail-backup" or something like this and giving this user write
permission on every mail account.  This way a single user could back up
all the imap user folders on the server.