How to best offer NNTP access to a mailing list archive?

Mikhail T. mi+cyrus at aldan.algebra.com
Mon Nov 29 13:48:36 EST 2010

Hello!

There is a handful of mailing lists, of which I'm collecting all
postings for posterity.

I'd like to make these archives available via NNTP (instead of the
HTML-ized archives,
that they are now). Currently the archives are simply a Berkeley mbox
each and not under Cyrus...

What is the best approach for converting them over? The special
addresses, to which new postings currently arrive to me, are:

I'd like the news-groups to appear as "Arxiv./mailing list name/".
Access will be read-only and protected against address-harvesting bots
by a simple username/password -- so I don't need to enable anonymous
access and can tie the ACL to this particular username.

How do I create the pisar-hierarchy, and what ACL should I set (just
"lr")? Do I have to use lmtp2nntp, or will Cyrus' own deliver be able
to, uhm, deliver to these archive(s)? What would be the settings for
imapd.conf? How do I ensure, the archive-entries never "expire"?

Thanks! Yours,

    -mi