Updating front-end and master server

Bron Gondwana brong at fastmail.fm
Wed Nov 24 18:03:17 EST 2010

On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 11:20:46AM -0500, Michael D. Sofka wrote:
> Is there a preferred order for updating the Cyrus master and front-end
> servers?  The back-end servers are all upgraded from 2.2.12 to 2.2.16.
> Should the master be upgraded before or after the front-end servers?
>
> Also, is it possible to run with a mixture of 2.2.12 and 2.3.16
> front-end servers?

Oh so ancient!  It should be OK, but you might hit issues with more
recent frontends than backends if the frontends advertise capabilities
that the backends don't support.  We saw this just the other day with
a site with 2.4.4 frontends and 2.3.16 backends, where the frontends
advertised the ESEARCH capability and iPhones got sad when their
perfectly reasonable searches were rejected!

Bron.