ext3 / XFS

Shuvam Misra shuvam.misra at merceworld.com
Tue Nov 16 22:36:06 EST 2010

> > This is depends on what filesystem you are useing, I have mailboxes with hundreds
> > of thousands of messages in them on XFS and have no problems, but on ext3 I
> > start seeing slowdowns with a bit over ten thousand messages.
>
> Was dir_index enabled on that ext3 filesystem?  Prior to dir-index ext3
> was very slow for large folders. dir_index is not enabled by default in
> ext3.

Maybe it's better to move to ext4... we're going to do that with the next
release of our product too. This article:

    http://www.linux-mag.com/id/7876

based on Ric Wheeler's now-well-known presentation at Linuxcon threw up
interesting comparative figures between ext3 and ext4 performance. Caught
us by surprise -- we didn't expect this kind of a performance jump.

Shuvam