Does anyone allow unlimited or extremely large quotas?

Shuvam Misra shuvam.misra at merceworld.com
Tue Nov 16 22:14:29 EST 2010

> On 16.11.2010 17:11, Shuvam Misra wrote:
> > I guess Webmail is OT on a Cyrus mailing list, but can't help asking: any suggestions for
> > improving Webmail performance? (Admission: we haven't yet tried imapproxy
> > -- it appears to be a good piece of C which will help things.)
>
> You should install imapproxy. Also make sure you do a lot of caching on
> the webmail side for example if the webmail is programmed with php use
> apc and cache mailbox listing and message headers if possible.
>
> Cache also things on the imap server, if your cyrus version supports it
> you should try to use status cache and test whether it makes any
> difference in your environment.

Thanks a lot, Leena. :) You've actually tickled some suspicions we have
also had, that to deliver good Webmail service to our users, we may have
to figure out PHP acceleration.

I sometimes wish the world wasn't so desperately pushing the one-size-
fits-all paradigm of browser-based apps for each and every thing in
sight... all this problem with Webmail is primarily due to using a
connectionless run-time system for a connection-oriented service (IMAP).

Will look into PHP cacheing and other stuff.

Shuvam