Does anyone allow unlimited or extremely large quotas?

Joseph Brennan brennan at columbia.edu
Tue Nov 16 10:32:27 EST 2010

> We know things will be fine with 10,000 messages too, but
> 100,000 msgs in a folder is pushing things.

My inbox is 17,338 at the moment, and it's still fast.  But I'm using
an old copy of Mulberry, which was designed for IMAP.

The problem area is clients designed for POP and adapted to IMAP.  I'd
say this relevant to Cyrus, because if we have a great server side but
weak user-facing software, we lose the game.

I wish we'd somehow financed a native Cyrus webmail interface, that is
not using IMAP but built into Cyrus.  I don't think users know how good
Cyrus is because they look at it through a weak intermediary.

> (Admission: we haven't yet tried imapproxy
> -- it appears to be a good piece of C which will help things.)

Do it.  It makes a huge difference.  You go from crawling to just slow.

Joseph Brennan