Does anyone allow unlimited or extremely large quotas?

Ciprian cvizitiu at gbif.org
Tue Nov 16 08:47:58 EST 2010

Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
> I think the issue you will encounter first is clients will start to fall
> down when folders exceed a 'reasonable' number of messages.  Common IMAP
> clients I've seen start to exhibit severe performance issues beyond a
> few hundred thousand messages.

Older versions of Outlook (e.g. Office 2003) will choke well before that
(I think the limit was around 35.000 on XP SP2 ) also couple that with
the local Outlook file store for that IMAP account which used to be
limited to 2G. We generally advice our users to avoid going past 20.000
messages in one folder.