popuseimapflags does not use IMAP seen state

Joseph Brennan brennan at columbia.edu
Mon Nov 8 12:21:34 EST 2010

Kenneth Marshall <ktm at rice.edu> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just posted this bug to the Cyrus Bugzilla system:
>
> Bug 3329 - popuseimapflags does not pass IMAP seen -> POP3 seen
>
> and I thought I would see if anyone else in the community had
> run into this issue. Or is there a rationale behind not using
> the IMAP seen information in the POP3 message pull?

There is no seen state in POP3, as far as I know.

Popuseimapflags says, if the message was RETRieved by a pop client,
set the IMAP flag to Seen.  It's kind of bogus since the pop server
cannot mark which messages were really seen.  With POP3, reading
messages is a local action on the end user's computer.  All POP3
does essentially is download and delete.

Joseph Brennan