Cyrus Imap + Thunderbird 3

Dominique Couot dcouot at terra.es
Fri Nov 5 12:34:40 EDT 2010

Adam,

1. Roundcube use a DNS name to connect to the IMAP server.
2. Host solipym.net returns IP address and MX record
3. The client is TB· on Windows... Sorry at this stage to complicated to migrate end users to Linux.

Dominique

Sorry to bug everyone, but I am stuck with what is probably a simple
>  newbie error.
>  I've been playing with Ubuntu server 10.04. Got it working internally
>  (samba, cups,...), even got the apache and web sites setup correctly.
>  My next step was to setup a mail server.
>  So I followed a very nicely done howto to get postfix + cyrus working.
>  I also installed roundcube for webmail access.
>  So far so good. I got incoming mail, outgoing mail, well everything you
>  expect from a mail server. That is... with roundcube.
>  When trying to connect though a Thunderbird 3, no luck.
>  I know the mail server works... it works with the webmail part - at the
>  office and outside of the office. It also works with TB3 when using the
>  internal IP address of the server on the LAN. But no way to get it
>  working with a domain name.

?? I'm not certain what the question is.  Does the roundcube instance
use the DNS name or the IP address of the IMAP server.

Does "host your-server-name" return the IP of the server?

> >  So I figure the problem was with the connection to the server and the
> >  resolution of the server name etc... (/etc/hosts, hostmane, or whatever
> >  over config file and anything in between the server and the domain provider)
> >  Can somehow help me to solve that part ?

I'd guess it is a DNS issue [although, in my experience, TB3 is a really
buggy app - so who knows].

If you are on LINUX try it with Evolution [a good IMAP client] - does it
work from there?