Cyrus Imap + Thunderbird 3

Andy Bennett andyjpb at ashurst.eu.org
Fri Nov 5 11:52:12 EDT 2010

Hi,

>> Telnet:
>>
>> telnet solipym.net 143
>>
>> * BYE Cannot connect to IMAP server 88.25.37.109 (88.25.37.109:993),
>> connect err
>> or 10061
>>
>> Connection to host lost.
>
> I get a different response:
>
> ~$ telnet solipym.net 143
> Trying 88.25.37.109...
> Connected to solipym.net.
> Escape character is '^]'.
> * OK solipym Cyrus IMAP4 v2.2.13-Debian-2.2.13-19 server ready
> c logout
> * BYE LOGOUT received
> c OK Completed
> Connection closed by foreign host.

I'll assume that Dominique has got the mail server on a private network
and is forwarding ports 143, etc, on the firewall to the mail server.

I'll assume that Dominique is connecting from another machine on the
private network.
	+ Connecting to the mail server via the private network works fine.
	+ Connecting to the mail server via the firewall's IP address doesn't.

I'll assume that Dan is connecting to the firewall's IP address from
outside the private network: from somewhere else on The Internet and it
works fine.

This suggests that the firewall only does port forwarding for packets
arriving on its WAN interface, not its LAN interface.

This is typical behaviour for consumer ADSL routers and that kind of
kit: my one behaves like that as well.

Regards,
@ndy

andyjpb at ashurst.eu.org