Patch: add new lmtptarget annotation

Stephen Grier s.e.grier at qmul.ac.uk
Tue May 18 12:38:58 EDT 2010

All,

Just submitting a patch I'm supporting locally for consideration.

We use shared mailboxes quite extensively for role-based communication.
For quite some time we've had a problem with users deleting or renaming
mailboxes into which we deliver mail. We can, and do, use IMAP ACLs to
dissallow users from deleting the delivery target mailbox. But when a
user creates a child mailbox it inherits the ACLs of the parent, and the
user is then not able to delete or rename the sub folder.

As a fix, I have written a patch against 2.3.16 to add a new lmtptarget
mailbox annotation. When enabled, Cyrus won't allow the mailbox to be
deleted or renamed. We can then set whatever ACLs we want inherited by
child mailboxes, happy in the knowledge the user won't blat the mailbox
and cause mail to bounce.

The rationale here is that Cyrus treats user.foo with special
significance as a delivery target, but does not do the same for shared
mailboxes because there is no way for Cyrus to know which shared
mailboxes we intend to deliver mail into. Using a mailbox annotation
seems a nice way of flagging this.

Patch attached. Comments welcome.

Cheers,
Stephen