DNS load balancing

Andre Nathan andre at digirati.com.br
Tue May 11 08:35:26 EDT 2010

Hello

I'm setting up a two-machine cyrus cluster using OCFS2 over DRBD. The
setup is working fine, and I'm now considering the load balancing
options I have.

I believe the simplest option would be to simply rely on DNS load
balancing. However, for this to work, I need to consider what happens
when one of the cluster nodes fails, regarding the clients which access
the cluster:

 - Will IMAP and POP3 clients automatically try the second DNS entry if
   connecting to the first one fails?
 - Will the LMTP client also do this? I'm using the postfix LMTP client
   for delivery.

Does any one have experience with this kind of setup?

Thanks in advance,
Andre