bootstrapping replication

Wesley Craig wes at umich.edu
Mon May 10 12:01:48 EDT 2010

On 10 May 2010, at 08:31, Eric Doutreleau wrote:
> /usr/lib/cyrus-imapd/sync_client -v  -m user.doutrele
>
> i got
>
> MAILBOXES user.doutrele
> Error from do_mailboxes(): bailing out!
>
> the replica server is empty. Should i put him in sync with the master
> bedore starting replications?

Depending on load, I'd advise pre-sync-ing all of your users & shared
mailboxes prior to starting rolling replication, e.g.:

	sync_client -luv user1 user2 ...
	sync_client -lmv shared.mailbox1 shared.mailbox2 ...

Then start rolling replication.  This will prevent rolling
replication from getting so far behind that it thrashes.  Mailboxes
will still not be entirely in sync at this point, so insert user and
mailbox events into the rolling replication log:

	cyr_synclog -u user

Regarding the bail out, take a look at the logs on both the backend
and the replica.

:wes