Building an interface to unexpunge for users

David Mayo D.J.Mayo at bath.ac.uk
Mon Mar 29 11:22:55 EDT 2010

Bron Gondwana wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 11:28:50AM +0100, David Mayo wrote:
>> We have recently upgraded to Cyrus 2.3 and are making full use of the
>> "delayed delete" feature, and we are considering writing an interface to
>> allow users to undelete their own messages and mailboxes.
>>
>> Before I start work on this myself, I thought I'd check with people here
>> to see if anyone has any tips or code they are willing to share. I hope
>> we will be able to publish the product we create.
>
> Are you planning to use the unexpunge tool behind the scenes for this,
> or something more hooked into the innards?
>
> (I ask because the innards are going through a big overhaul at the moment,
> but I hope to keep the unexpunge tool working nicely!)

I haven't given this much thought as I wanted to check if someone had a
working solution or some ideas they wanted to share. My thinking was
that we'd have a Perl script on our web site that SSHed into our IMAP
server and ran the unexpunge command with appropriate options.

> Also - do people care about losing their \Seen state?  Because maintaining
> that over unexpunge is possibly viable, but might cost a bit more IO.

I would hope the \Seen state isn't that important to people who are
recovering emails that got deleted so I wouldn't want to implement it
initially.

My biggest concern is the interface will be relying on the info from
"unexpunge" which removes all the punctuation and spaces from the
fields[1] which will look naff to the users.

Regards,

Dave.

David Mayo
Networks/Systems Administrator
University of Bath Computing Services, UK

[1]