Nginx configuration for imap

Bron Gondwana brong at fastmail.fm
Thu Mar 18 07:49:59 EDT 2010

On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 04:19:37PM +0530, ram wrote:
> One more issue with nginx 0.8.34  is that when auth-fails on the real
> server the nginx returns "BAD: internal server error"
> The email clients are not able to interpret this error.
>
> Can I configure nginx to pass on the actual message from my cyrus server
> "NO LOGIN failed"

Our saslauthd does:

  # Status should be 'OK' or error message
  my $Status = $Result ? 'OK' : $Reason;

  $Self->WriteNginxResponse(
    'Auth-Status' => $Status,
    'Auth-Server' => $BEServer,
    'Auth-Port' => $BEPort,
    'Auth-User' => $BEUserName,
    'Auth-Pass' => $BEPassword,
    'Auth-Wait' => $WaitTime,
  );

Why does the auth fail on the backend server?  It never should.  If it does
that means you've screwed up pretty badly.  You can give the failure from
nginx by just passing an Auth-Status header.

Regards,

Bron.