Info-cyrus Digest, Vol 56, Issue 14

Andrew Morgan morgan at orst.edu
Mon Mar 15 19:10:43 EDT 2010

On Mon, 15 Mar 2010, Diego Ventrice wrote:

> John,
>
> Few questions about murder if you dont mind.
>
> Does the front end server act as a load balancer, and also are back end
> server replicated exact copies ?
>
> How would it be to deploy HA with murder, on the front servers ?

Frontend servers are proxy servers.  They lookup the location of the
user's mailbox and proxy incoming IMAP connections to the correct backend
server.

Backend servers are not much different than a standalone, non-Murder,
Cyrus server.  Each backend server registers its list of mailboxes with
the mupdate master server, which maintains a master list of the location
of all mailboxes in the Murder cluster.  The frontend servers read from
the mupdate master to locate mailboxes.

Backend servers are not fault-tolerant or highly-available.

As far as I know, the only Cyrus method of achieving high availability is
using Cyrus replication.

 	Andy