/var/spool/cyrus/mail/x/share in the filesystem

Dan White dwhite at olp.net
Wed Jun 9 09:55:21 EDT 2010

On 09/06/10 09:13 +0200, Jakob Lenfers wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I'm trying around with a test server and a administration tool (gosa)
>and I've got a question I cannot solve with google and the documentation:
>
>When I created a mail group with gosa (and ldap) I thought it would just
>create the ldap entries and postfix would do all the resolving. But gosa
>did not only create the ldap entries, but also an account on cyrus:
>/var/spool/cyrus/mail/m/share/mail-test/
>
>Normal users are created on my ubuntu in
>/var/spool/cyrus/mail/x/user/xusername/; what does the share folder do?

The /var/spool/cyrus/mail/m/share/mail-test/ should correspond to a
'share.mail-test' mailbox, which you should see in a mailbox list within
cyradm.

That folder doesn't have any special meaning to cyrus other than it's
considered to be located under the 'shared' namespace, and will not be used
as any user's personal mailbox. See RFC 2342 for more details.

I'd guess that putting a mailbox under the shared namespace is the way that
gosa represents a group mailbox. Doing a 'listacl share.mail-test' will
probably give you some idea of its purpose.

--
Dan White