imapd 2.2.10 performance

Michael Menge michael.menge at zdv.uni-tuebingen.de
Mon Jan 18 11:11:55 EST 2010

Hi,

Quoting Gabriele Bulfon <gbulfon at sonicle.com>:

> Hi,
> in the recent months I started to have performance issues on some
> installations
> deployed happily for many years.
> I tried running a reconstruct of all mailboxes during the weekend,
> but no results.
> Maybe the amount of mail is now affecting imap performance?
> These installations has 50-100 users, many of them keeping 2-8Gb of history.
> How can I get back to the normal cyrus performance? (without archiving)

It is hard to help you to fix this issues, without knowing
where the bottleneck is.

So lets try to find the bottleneck. If it was running fine for many
years did the performance droped at one point or did it go down slowly?
What has changed? More users/ larger mailboxes?
Harddisk getting old and slower?
Is the system swaping?
What hardware does this run on?
Which OS?
Which filesystem?

> - would reducing checkpoint from 30m to 5m help?

no, these checkpoints are only backups in case databasecorruption.

> - would switching db from Berkley to Sleepycat help?

I don't know if Sleepycat is faster than Berkley DB. And i don't
know if your bottleneck is the db-access. You can try to use skiplist
for some dbs but you should combine this with a more recend version of
cyrus, as the
skiplistcode has been improved in the last few versions.

> - would an upgrade to 3.x help? (and would just a rebuild work
> without any conversion?)

I would guess that upgrading cyrus to 2.3.16 could improve your
performance, nevertheless should you upgrade you cyrus version as your
version is very old.
Cyrus 2.3.16 has many new features i don't want to miss and many bugs
have been fixed since 2.2.10

M.Menge                                Tel.: (49) 7071/29-70316
Universität Tübingen                   Fax.: (49) 7071/29-5912
Zentrum für Datenverarbeitung          mail:
michael.menge at zdv.uni-tuebingen.de
Wächterstraße 76
72074 Tübingen