Quotas and disk usage

Eric Luyten Eric.Luyten at vub.ac.be
Fri Jan 15 10:43:54 EST 2010

On Fri, January 15, 2010 9:50 am, Michael Menge wrote:
> Quoting Eric Luyten <Eric.Luyten at vub.ac.be>:

>> On our previous Cyrus server (2.2 on Solaris 9 with UFS) I detected several
>>  multiply-linked message files (sitting in different folders/directories).
>>
>> Those will be counted twice/thrice/... towards the Cyrus quota but not
>> 'du'.
>> We were unable to find out how some IMAP clients were capable of having the
>> server create them. (This being said, we never invested much effort into it
>> :-)
>>

>> % find `mbpath user/NNNNNN` -type f \! -links 1
>>

> It's not the client but the Server doing this. See man imapd.conf
>

> singleinstancestore: 1
> If  enabled, imapd, lmtpd and nntpd attempt to only write one copy
> of a message per partition and create hard links, resulting  in  a potentially
> large disk savings.

Michael,

Due to the way our Postfix interacts with Cyrus I'm pretty sure these
doubly-linked message files do not start existing at delivery (lmtp)
time, but during IMAP sessions.

Some of them (I looked into it earlier today) appear to be the fruits
of incorrectly terminated (Mac Mail) user sessions, where the "expunge
on-exit" is not performed.

Eric.