cyrus-imapd-2.2.12-10 -- impurge and -f recursion --

James B. Byrne byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca
Fri Jan 15 08:39:50 EST 2010

I run cyrus-imapd under CentOS-4.8 (a RedHat el4 clone).  I am
trying to discover if there is any way to purge a user's INBOX of
old and over-sized messages without affecting the contents of any
subfolders thereof.

I have looked at impurge as the mechanism. However,my reading of the
man page, and of online discussions relating to this matter,
indicate that in order for impurge to remove any mail from the INBOX
then the -f switch has to be passed.  But, I also gather that
whenever the -f switch is used then ALL subfolders of the target
directory are purged recursively as well.

This strikes me as a rather odd combination of attributes but I
cannot see any way to prevent recursion if the -f switch is used.
What is the recommended way to purge mail from a user's INBOX only
using criteria such as age and size?

Sincerely,

Canada  L8E 3C3