Future Ideas wiki page

David Lang david.lang at digitalinsight.com
Wed Jan 13 19:26:01 EST 2010

On Sat, 9 Jan 2010, Bron Gondwana wrote:

> On Sat, 09 Jan 2010 15:10 +0100, "Alexey Melnikov" <alexey.melnikov at isode.com> wrote:
>> Bron Gondwana wrote:
>>> While we're at it, I'm much more interested in cross-folder searching with sort
>>> order that doesn't require folder as the first item, but that's significantly more
>>> complex!
>>>

>> <http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-morg-multimailbox-search-01>?
>> If you have some additional use cases in mind, please let me know.
>
> "with sort order that doesn't require folder as the first item".  I guess you could return
> multiple ESEARCH responses with the same folder mentioned to get the ordering...
>
> It's still more folder-centric than otherwise, and it's going to make following threads
> across folders (say INBOX and a couple of time based archive folders) tricky!

thinking about this a bit more, it sounds almost like what you are wanting is a
third mode of addressing messages.

currently we can do

message # in this folder

messageUID in this folder

and something like folderUID:messageUID would open up what you are looking for
(probably plus more)

Would it be possible to take a character that can't appear in a message# or UID
position in the existing protocol and define it as a delimiter for this? (I used
':' in my example above as I believe that '-' is used to indicate a range of
messages)

If it is, then this would 'just' be a new addressing option like UID currently
is, and like UID, clients would opt-in to this new mode. (it would still need a
RFC for the new mode, but does this sound like a solution to what you are
looking for?

David Lang